Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I wanted to keep this website upbeat and cheerful, but sometimes things happen that changes things, so rather than keep quiet about it I will tell you what happened to me. I am absolutely sure others are having a similar experience and I always think it's better to talk about it and maybe find a solution. This is what happened to me Monday...

 I went to see my doctor about scheduling surgery for my pelvis. The plan was to put in screws in the pelvic bone because I have what is called insufficiency fractures that was caused from radiation. The receptionist told me I had to pay $276 for the office visit. Apparently my MediCal coverage changed last month (no one told me) and my deductible is now $831 a month! I called the MediCal office and was told by a social worker that because my husband and I earn $2700 a month gross, we earn too much money. I explained that $500 a month comes out of my husband's check and I get social security because I am still disabled. If we are lucky we make $2200 a month. My colostomy supplies will cost at least $200 a month and they will no longer be covered by MediCal because they cost less than $831. I don't know what I am going to do. I can't afford to see any of my doctors so I am basically screwed.

That is how I felt yesterday and I was awake most of the night trying to figure out what to do. I am the type of person who gets upset when I first hear this type of news but not for long. My pain turns into anger and when I'm pissed, watch out! I am definitely no victim and when I fall down for a minute I get up swinging.

I was on the phone early this morning calling anyone who would listen and who might have suggestions. I came up with a few...first thing is to get a copy of that letter that was supposedly sent to me December 29th and appeal the decision. I will also be going to my state senators office this week to get some help, so I will keep you posted how that visit turns out. But for now I will not get upset about things I have no control over and use the energy I have to come up with a plan...even a plan B and C. I have come a long way since last year at this time. I beat cancer for crying out loud! This will be a piece of cake compared to that.

I spent most of my day writing letters to my doctors and making phone calls. I plan to spend my evening relaxing, watching some funny shows and drinking a fabulous green smoothie!

Eat your fruits & veggies!     xo Inge

No comments: