Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Its Cold and that Means Chili!






Its cold outside and that means its time for chili. Here's my recipe for my famous vegan chili.



First of all I soak 1/2 cup of raw black beans. Its ususally takes a few hours and then they are ready to be cooked. I sometimes soak them overnight...whatever is easiest for you. The beans are ready to use in chili when you can easily smash it with a fork. 1/2  cup dry beans will turn into a little over a cup of cooked beans.


Now take out a large soup pot and pour olive oil on the bottom...enough to sautee a chopped onion. When the onions are carmelized, add a 16 oz can of tomatoes. I use organic diced from Trader Joes. Then I add 1/3 bag organic corn from (you guessed it...Trader Joes). Sometimes I throw in an organic chopped potato or green pepper.


Sooooo, where's the chili seasoning? I used to buy ready made but after reading what is in processed foods these days, I want to know whats in my food and that includes seasonings. McCormicks, which is the chili seasoning I used to use only lists a couple of ingredients and the rest are "natural". The word "natural" is not regulated and since they spent a great deal of money fighting Prop 37...I no longer give them my money.


I found a terrific recipe from this blogger and you can find her over here...http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/homemade-chili-and-taco-seasoning/


For this recipe I use 2 tablespoons of chili seasoning. You can always use more or less.


Here's how to make your own:


4 tablespoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons sea salt
4 teaspoons black pepper


I keep it stored in a ziplock baggie.



xo      Inge

No comments: