Thursday, January 10, 2013

I have been looking through several "eating healthy" facebook pages and ran into a few that claim food alone will cure cancer. I have trouble with that statement because I think it depends on the type of cancer and what stage it is. For me, I chose western medicine because I was diagnosed at stage four and time was of the essence to decide which way to go. I believe everyone should be able to choose which treatment is best for them. If someone chooses to use alternative or only eat foods rich in anti-oxidents to fight cancer, thats fine, but they should have access to stats that tell them the survival rate first. I don't like hearing from those people who give a knee jerk response to anything western medicine before looking into the facts. I got some advice from well meaning individuals about some plant based treatments when i was sick, but when I researched them, the information was too iffy. It didn't resonate with me. Maybe I would have thought differently if my cancer was not as advanced. I decided to go the western medicine route and understood it would be brutal. If anyone tells you it isn't that bad, they are lying and I am willing to bet, even those who went the plant based route will agree... having cancer sucks... there is no sugar coating it, but sometimes things suck in life and we do the best we can to get through it. Cancer treatments have come a long way and the survival rates are higher. I am all for incorporating treatments to include body, mind and spirit...it says so on the "about me" page. I do understand there are cancer survivors who... for whatever reason chose to do the plant based treatment, but I can only think of two for sure. I don't know if they are the norm. I guess what I am getting at -- is this. If you are diagnosed with cancer, look at all the alternatives and make the best choice for you. Don't listen to those who tell you that all western medicine treatment is bad. They might change their minds if they were in your shoes. The internet is a great place to do research on really anything. If you find an article that sounds too good to be true -- it probably is. Also research the author. Are they selling their cure? Are there actual testimonials from real people who had cancer? After a while, you will get to know those you can trust. What I do completely agree with these facebook pages is this.... eating healthy food is good for you and will fend off disease....that is a fact and science is catching up with that idea. Eat a healthy diet before you are diagnosed with a serous illness. xo Inge

No comments: